Asheville is the gateway to many signature North Carolina activities, sights, and destinations. A few big examples of this include the Biltmore Estate, Blue Ridge Parkway, and the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. As a top tourist destination in the USA, Asheville has a lot to offer and the wineries in and around the city are no exception. The vineyards outside the city are beautiful places that blend together many things Western North Carolina has a reputation for: natural scenery, agriculture and hospitality. The urban wineries and tasting rooms inside the city leverage the vibe of the city to offer their products in a different atmosphere; they may not have mountain scenery, like when you get outside the city, but they definitely have that mountain vibe and seamlessly blend into the cityscape of downtown Asheville.
With 20+ wine interest destinations to choose from, a wine tour from the Asheville region never disappoints. You can even take multi-day trips and explore 3-4 wineries each day without repeating any wineries. Our wine tours are all custom and can include a WSET or Court of Master Sommelier certified wine expert to accompany you on your trip. We work with you to come up with a great itinerary for your day out and provide door-to-door service on all of our wine tours. Book your tour today and see why Van in Black is the highest rated tour/transportation company in the region.
The Asheville Wineries…
As with all of our wine tours, our tours are custom for each group. An Asheville wine tour with us can include any combination of the vineyards listed below and we are more than happy to suggest an itinerary for your booking.
- Parker-Binns Vineyards
- Mountain Brook Vineyards
- Russian Chapel-Hills Vineyards
- Silver Fork Winery
- Marked Tree Vineyard
- The Biltmore Estate
- Plēb Urban Winery
- Addison Farms Vineyard
- Saint Paul Mountain Vineyards
- Burntshirt Vineyards
- Point Lookout Vineyards
- South Creek Winery
- Stone Ashe Vineyard
There are also a number of tasting rooms and wine shops in Asheville that make for a great stop, here are just a few:
- 5 Walnut Wine Bar
- WALLS Wine Bar
- Marked Tree Tasting Room (downtown)
- The Montford Rooftop Bar
- Botanist and Barrel
- Bottle Riot
- Leo’s House of Thirst
- The Aventine
There are even a few cideries in and around the city to check out (remember: All cider is wine but not all wine is cider!)
- Bold Rock
- Noble Cider and Mead Taproom
- Barn Door Ciderworks
- Urban Orchard Cider Co.
- TreeRock Social
- Appalachian Ridge Cidery
And don’t even get us started on breweries (that is a whole separate section unto itself!)…
A Typical Wine Tour…
Most wine tours will visit 3 wineries and last about 6 hours (or longer). Since the tour is custom for your group, nobody from Van in Black is going to tell you “time’s up!” when you are at a particular winery. You are free to enjoy the day however you want and linger however long you want at each vineyard. We book our vehicles by the hour and after securing your vehicle with a 4 hour deposit (our hourly minimum), you settle up with your driver after the tour for anything used beyond the initial 4 hours.
A few things to note about wine tours departing from Asheville:
- Most of the wineries with vineyards are about 45-50 minutes outside the city. There are urban options available but if you want to go to vineyards then you have to get out of the city.
- We tend to recommend areas where there are clusters of wineries close together and these are to the south of Asheville (Hendersonville and Tryon).
- Most of the wines available in and around Asheville are going to be dry European (vinifera) style wines. There are a few wineries that have some sweet wines available but there typically isn’t a lot of sweet wine available in this region.
- Food options are available at some of the wineries via either food trucks (weekends) or established kitchens. We can help with this when planning your itinerary.
All that is left is for you to book your Asheville Wine Tour and enjoy the day!
Do you still have questions? Check out our wine tour FAQs.